Friday, June 26, 2009

Early on

My story started back in March, I was having a few random pains in my left leg. It was actually close to the time for my routine blood work. I had ovarian cancer 4 1/2 years ago, so I am at a yearly visitor to Highland Oncology. Since it had almost been 5 years Highland said it would be fine to just have my next labs done at my clinic (UAMS AHEC-NW) so that is what I did. As I mentioned pains in my leg encouraged my Doctor to run some blood work to rule out a number of health issues. My blood work showed extremely high protein levels which was causing poor kidney function. I was referred to a Nephrologist in town to study my kidney function. He felt he would need to do a kidney biopsy to get to the real problem. We did this in May, the results showed to be Multiple Myeloma. From there he felt I needed to see my oncologist for futher evaluation, I chose Dr. Rosenfeld, since he was my oncologist a few years back. Clay and I went to visit with him the middle of May, he was skeptical with the readings from the kidney biopsy, he felt like we would need to do a bone marrow biopsy to know for sure. We did the bone marrow biopsy the next week, we met with the doctor the following week for the results. I think it really caught him by surprise, he didn't see it coming. It truly was Light Chain Myeloma. We left his office shocked, stunned, upset and scarced of what was to come. Dr. Rosenfeld's recommendation was to go to Little Rock to the UAMS Myeloma Institute for a game plan. So that is where we are now, we have for the most part been down here since June 10th for testing and another bone marrow biopsy. This just brings everyone up to speed, I will try to post things as they happen and as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment